Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Student Leaders

Currently, we have been working on developing a more intentional student leadership program here at church. Our church has had student involvement and input occassionally but ongoing and historically some attempts at intential student leadership, but it just never went anywhere. Intentional mentoring/development of student leaders is a big passion for me and I would love to see my student leaders provided with avenues to explore those gifts. In the past, (if I can be somewhat real and somewhat sarcastic) student leadership attempts have looked a bit hap-hazzard. It's consisted of looking at everything that needs to be done and throwing every student onto a committee (a delegated area) where they may have interest or talents... hhhmmm... I'll just leave that there. A couple months ago, we put the feelers out there to see if any students were interested in the concept of student leadership. There are a few who are. Because we have a smaller program, I'd like to start with a (in the words of YS) "Program Planning Leadership Team," those students who have a desire to see YM at our church be successful through helping with ideas, planning things, etc... then from there possibly branch into some peer types of ministry with small groups or something (currently the church has no small groups :) ). We're not there yet. But, so far, we've "surveyed" the students and had a parent meeting (which was very good as the parents are very supportive). But I'm wondering if anyone else has any important input to consider/helpful resources/or would be interested in just chatting about how to impliment this, before we move forward. I would love to learn. Also, if you've attempted this in the small church setting, I'd be particularly interested in your input. Thanks!

2 comments:

Matt Yount said...

I've never used their stuff and I don't know much about them, but have you ever checked out http://www.studentleadership.net?

Ross G- said...

Hey,

Here is a person from Zeeland to talk with about the student leadership stuff they are doing. Her name is Laura Kiefer, email is icthus@i2k.com. Shoot her an email I'm sure you will give you some ideas about what they are doing. It is something that has been worked through for a few years and sounds like they are starting to get it figured out now.