Monday, May 21, 2007

Graduation Gifts...


It's that time of year again - graduation, and every year I struggle regarding a gift to get kids who have gone through the youth ministry. I've purchased books for kids, but they never read them. I've purchased CD's, and a few kids probably listened to the CD, but now I feel that was a meaningless gift. I've also purchased Bibles, but a lot of kids already have a Bible.

So, again this year I'm struggling to figure out a gift for seniors. Do any of you have a gift idea? What has worked for you in the past? Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully there are people who still read this blog. If not, I just wasted time writing this entry.

Dave Roberts

5 comments:

Ross G- said...

I am really excited about the gift we are giving our students this year. I had some of the same stuggles you are having. This year though we decided to give them a picture. We took their pictures and are putting them in a 16X20 frame. The picture itself is 6X10 then it has a matte around it. We are displaying them in the back of church on our graduation day and letting other students, family, friends,.... write comments, encouragement, memories, bible verses on the matte part. I think it should be really cool, but I will have to see how it turns out. At this point they have all had their picture taken. I think it costs like $7 at Sam's to have them printed then we are also buying cheaper frames. To take their pictures we had a camera set up in room for two weeks then scheduled kids to come in and get their pictures taken before and after church.

Matt Yount said...

I like Ross' idea...I wish now we had done something like that! Very creative! This year we sent each senior a copy of the book "Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson. We encouraged them to read the first part of the book, which is a modern day parable. Then we invited them all over to my place for a cookout in their honor (steaks, chicken, the works). We talked about their dreams, encouraged them and prayed with them. It was so/so, good for those who came (4), but it was hard to get them all together. Again, I think I would pursue Ross' picture thing next time.

Dave Roberts said...

Ross, you're the man. I love that idea. Now, I need to see if I can pull it off in the next two weeks.

Dave

Ross G- said...

It only takes Sams a couple hours to develop them. The hard part is getting all of them to get their picture taken. I would say you can still do it but it would take a lot of phone calls to them to get them to show up to get their picture taken.

Adam said...

Hey Dave,
I gave my students this year subscriptions to Relevant Magazine. It was a huge help for me in college and I consider it a bi-monthly reminder that we love 'em! I know this post is old...but I just thought I'd put in my two cents.